Aug 17

Finally found a use for the masonry bits I bought in 2010 – drilling a hole to hang the outside sensor outside the window.

Aug 08

There was a noise in the night which was most likely this shelf collapsing on the left side as a support peg snapped.

wpid-IMG_6318-2015-08-8-14-25.jpg

Unloading the shelf’s double layer of books.

wpid-IMG_6319-2015-08-8-14-25.jpg

I had to raise the shelf one notch as one of the predrilled peg-holes had been damaged by the collapse. Then I restored the books in a slightly different way as the shelf height was too low for the taller books in the back layer (stacked horizontally instead of vertically).

wpid-IMG_6320-2015-08-8-14-25.jpg

Fortunately I managed to find a pack of shelf support pegs from the last time I had a shelf collapse. Unfortunately I think they are the same pegs as the one that broke this time so it might happen again. Maybe I’ll get stronger pegs next time.

wpid-IMG_6322-2015-08-8-14-25.jpg

May 13

Back in December I installed several of these programmable radiator controls. A few days ago the meter reader came and I got my new statements. Gas consumption down 10%, rebate and monthly direct debit reduced. The annual saving is more than double what the PRCs cost so that’s a win. Should do even better in future as I hadn’t installed all of them due to old valves that needed replacing.

wpid-IMG_6266-2015-05-13-13-55.jpg

May 09

The chair now goes quite a lot higher at full extension. This was deliberate as previously it had to be set to full height to be just high enough.

wpid-IMG_6310-2015-05-9-19-10.jpg

wpid-IMG_6311-2015-05-9-19-10.jpg

May 08

Amazon parcel including new gas lift for office chair, rubber mallet for removing old gas lift, pyrex bowl and Tassimo descaling tablets. The minimum order for free delivery went up from £10 to £20 as I was assembling this order which explains the odd mixture of stuff. I also am switching from using ecto for blogging to using MacJournal as ecto hasn’t been updated to support the change from iPhoto to Photo and so I can’t easily post photos from it anymore. MacJournal does support Photo. On the other hand it doesn’t seem to allow me to write html directly so I’ll need to look into that. I actually got MacJournal as part of a large software bundle I bought for another piece of software and hadn’t intended to use it – and now it’s turned out useful!

wpid-IMG_6306-2015-05-8-15-18.jpg

wpid-IMG_6307-2015-05-8-15-18.jpg

May 08

Got a new gas lift for the office chair. Fitting it was slightly harder than the youtube videos made it look and as well as a rubber mallet I needed a mole wrench, hex key and needle-nose pliers. Still, it only took about twenty minutes and I had a seat that went up higher than before and shouldn’t randomly collapse on me 🙂

wpid-IMG_6309-2015-05-8-15-07.jpg

Mar 21

IMG_6282 IMG_6284

The old doorbell finally expired so I got a replacement wireless doorbell. One mains powered ringer and one battery powered ringer.

Dec 11

New heating controllers for the winter. Five TRV heads, a window sensor and a remote control. Discovered a leaky TRV body when installing them so that will need a plumber.

IMG_6260 - Version 2 IMG_6263

Installed window sensor using provided double-sided sticky pads.

IMG_6264

May get another remote so I can have one for the office and one for the living room.

IMG_6265

I got a ‘buy three get one free’ deal and got five for the price of four.

IMG_6266

Jun 05

The DVD player in my old HTIB packed in again and since spares are no longer available it was time to upgrade. New 5.1 speakers with an active subwoofer, an amplifier with four hdmi in and one hdmi out and two optical digital in (my SKY box doesn’t do Dolby over HDMI so I need an optical link for that. And my TV doesn’t do ARC over HDMI so I need an optical link for that too.) And a blu-ray player. And 50 metres of speaker cable, fourteen banana plugs and a subwoofer cable. It all finally arrived by yesterday and I spent some hours unpacking and assembling it.

IMG_6067

Three boxes of speakers making HTS201 system.

IMG_6069

Some stands for the rear speakers.

IMG_6071 IMG_6072 IMG_6073 IMG_6074 IMG_6076

100W active subwoofer. 8” down firing ported variety.

IMG_6077 IMG_6078 IMG_6079 IMG_6080 IMG_6082 IMG_6084

Two front towers with spike feet.

IMG_6085 IMG_6086 IMG_6087

Center and two rear speakers.

IMG_6088 IMG_6089 IMG_6091

Rears on stands. The connectors take banana plugs.

IMG_6093 IMG_6094 IMG_6096 IMG_6097

Front speaker with cover off and on.

IMG_6098

Sub with dog hairs. That’s a Tannoy HTS201 speaker system.

IMG_6103 IMG_6104

Sub cable and some banana plugs. Both by Fisual.

IMG_6113 IMG_6114

Amplifier. Yamaha RX-V375.

IMG_6115

Blu-ray player. LG BP325.

IMG_6116

Set up. I actually tidied up all the wiring before I began but I ended up with another mess. The TV, the SKY box and the blu-ray have wired internet connections so it was handy the switch I bought ages ago had enough ports. The blu-ray promptly downloaded a software update as soon as it was wired up.

The system self-calibrated with the included microphone with the sub at -10dB which might be a little low for my liking. I’ll see about tweaking it all after it’s run in a little.

May 31

This dishwasher rear rail cap cost £3.45 including delivery. It arrived this morning and I fitted it. Now the top shelf of the dishwasher doesn’t fall off its rails when you pull it out.

IMG_5931

preload preload preload